Amount of computing resources consumed by actor runs and builds. An actor running with 1 GB of memory for one hour consumes 1 compute unit (CU).
Frequently asked questions
How does the platform pricing work?
The Apify platform provides a number of cloud computing services, such as Actors, Proxy or Storage. We monitor your exact usage of these services and compute the total cost according to the pricing shown on this page.
Each subscription plan comes with a certain amount of platform usage credits that are used to pay for the platform services. If your platform usage in a given billing cycle exceeds this amount of credits, the excess usage will be added to your next invoice, and you will get a notification. If you're on the free plan, your access to Apify platform services will be blocked until the beginning of the next monthly cycle.
Since each website is different, it is sometimes difficult to know in advance how much of the Apify platform your jobs will use. The easiest way to estimate the cost of the full workload is to do a few test runs and monitor your actual platform usage. See Platform usage in the Apify console.
If you have any questions or need help, do not hesitate to contact us.
What are Actors and compute units?
Apify Actors are serverless cloud programs running on the Apify platform that can perform arbitrary computing jobs such as sending an email or crawling a website with millions of pages. Actors consume computing resources, such as CPU, memory, or I/O. When running an actor, you only specify the memory size, and the rest of the resources, including number of CPUs, are assigned automatically, based on memory size.
The consumption of computing resources by actors is measured in so-called compute units, which reflect both the amount of memory (and thus CPU) required as well as the amount of time the actor runs:
1 GB memory x 1 hour = 1 compute unit
What is Data transfer and how is it measured?
When using the Apify platform, you generally download data from the web, process it using Actors, transfer it via Proxy or save it in Storage, and then upload the data back to the web. These data transfers incur a cost that depends on how much data is transferred and where. We take into account two types of transfers:
- Internal data transfer - Represents data transferred internally between services within the Apify platform over a private network in the 10.0.0.0/8 IP address range. For example, if your actors download data from Apify API, that data transfer is considered internal. Internal data transfer is relatively cheap.
- External data transfer - Represents outbound data transferred from the Apify platform to the internet. For example, if you download data from storage using Apify API to your local computer, the transfer is considered external. Note that inbound data transfer from internet to the Apify platform is free of charge. External data transfer is more expensive than internal data transfer
What is Proxy and how is it measured?
Apify Proxy is a service that increases the performance of your web scraping and automation jobs by transferring data over a network of datacenter or residential IP addresses. Proxy provides three services:
- Datacenter proxies - Provides access to Apify's pool of datacenter IP addresses, which is shared with other users. Datacenter proxies are charged based on the number of IP addresses, and they need to be purchased for at least one month. Each subscription plan includes a certain number of shared datacenter proxies covered by the base plan price, and you can purchase additional datacenter proxies as an add-on.
- Residential proxies - Provide access to a worldwide residential IP address network, which is useful for emulating access to the web from various geographical locations. Residential proxies are charged based on the amount of data transferred through them in any direction.
- SERPs - A specialized service to download Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs), from Google, from an arbitrary country. This service is charged based on the number of SERPs downloaded.
Note that data transferred through Apify Proxy counts towards your data transfer amount.
What is Storage and how is it measured?
Apify Storage is a collection of cloud storage services designed for web scraping and automation jobs. These services are charged by the number of read and write operations performed, as well as the amount of data stored and the duration of the storage (so-called timed storage)
There are three storage types:
- Dataset - Enables storage and export of results from web scraping and automation jobs, e.g. a list of products.
- Key-value store - Enables storage of files or records. In addition to reads and writes, there is a price for list operations used to enumerate records in the store.
- Request queue - Enables the storage and management of a queue of URLs to crawl.
Any other questions? Please contact us.